You may want to upgrade your browser. We have detected you are using Internet Explorer 10 or earlier. It is recommended that you update your browser to the latest version to get a better user experience. Find out more

Your JavaScript is disabled, we suggest you enable it to improve your Council website user experience.
Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide alert announcement. Site wide alert resolved. Due to planned maintenance, some online services listed under Apply/Report/Book/Track/Pay it will be unavailable from 4:45pm Friday 13 December to 8:00am on Monday 16 December 2019.
Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide alert announcement. Site wide alert resolved. Find out about changes to our operating hours during the festive season.
Skip to main content Menu
Main Content Anchor

Dead or injured animals

What do I do with a dead animal?

Is the animal on council land?

Council will collect dead animals from Council owned parks, roads and footpath areas.

  • Just complete the report a dead animal form and Council will action the request within 1 business day if lodged between Mon – Fri 7.30am – 3.30pm.
  • Requests lodged outside of these hours will be actioned the following business day.

Is the animal on any other (non-council) land?

Council does not own and/or is not responsible for maintaining assets such as:

For any URGENT requests relating to safety, please contact us on 02 4645 4000. If you are calling outside of business hours, you will be redirected to our after hours call service and required to follow the prompts.

What do I do with an injured animal?

Any animal which is injured is not seized under the Companion Animals Act but under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 (POCTA).

POCTA provides that where a cat or dog has been injured in a vehicle accident, the driver of the vehicle is responsible for ensuring that it receives appropriate treatment to alleviate pain. The driver must also, as soon as practicable, inform the owner of the animal, or an officer of the RSPCA, AWL or a police officer (section 14).

In any circumstance where an animal is injured (for example, as the result of an attack by another animal), if a person seizes or takes charge of the animal, that person is responsible for ensuring that the animal receives any necessary veterinary treatment (section 5(3)). If the cat or dog is severely injured or unwell the animal is required to be treated by the receiving vet (as per POCTA obligations) until the animal is stabilized and well enough for transfer to Glenfield Vets, or the Animal Care Facility as appropriate. Less critical cases can be referred to Glenfield Vets for interim treatment and holding until well enough for transfer to Council’s Animal Care Facility.

Where an animal is so severely injured that a vet takes possession of the animal to euthanase it, the vet may recover from the owner of the animal the reasonable costs incurred in euthanasing the animal (section 26A).

If the owner of an injured animal cannot be located, under the Companion Animals Act, the council should be notified. Once the animal’s condition is stabilised and it no longer requires veterinary supervision, the animal should be transferred to Council's Animal Care Facility.

Contacts for further assistance or information

During Animal Care Facility operating hours

The Animal Care Facility located at 2 Rose St (off Blaxland Rd), Campbelltown and can be contacted on 02 4645 4790 during operating hours:

  • Monday to Friday - 10am to 4pm
  • Saturday - 9am to 2pm
  • Sunday and Public holidays - Closed

Outside Animal Care Facility hours

Contact details for Glenfield Vet and RSPCA NSW are as follows:

Glenfield Vet
5/ 95 Harrow Road, Glenfield NSW
Phone: 02 9618 0177
Monday to Friday 8.30am – 7pm
Saturday 9am – 4pm
Sunday 9am – 2pm

201 Rookwood Road, Yagoona NSW
Phone: 02 9770 7555
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday 9am to 8pm


Injured koalas

If you find an injured koala, contact the WIRES Koala hotline on 0466 318 688 or Sydney Wildlife on 02 9413 4300.

Back to top Back to top