You may want to upgrade your browser. We have detected you are using Internet Explorer 10 or earlier. It is recommended that you update your browser to the latest version to get a better user experience. Find out more

Your JavaScript is disabled, we suggest you enable it to improve your Council website user experience.
Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide alert announcement. Site wide alert resolved. Find out about our operating hours for the Australia Day public holiday on Monday 27 January 2020
Skip to main content Menu
Main Content Anchor

Occupation Certificates (OC)

What is an Occupation Certificate?

An Occupation Certificate allows a person to occupy and use a new building, or change the use of an existing building.

An Occupation Certificate verifies that the Principal Certifying Authority (Council or a Private Certifier) is satisfied that the building is suitable to occupy or and satisfies relevant requirements and Australian Standards.

What types of Occupation Certificate are there?

There are two types:

  1. An Interim Occupation Certificate allows commencement of either the occupation or use of a partially completed building, or the commencement of a new use of part of an existing building resulting from a change of use of the building. The issuing of Interim Occupation Certificates is uncommon.

  2. A Final Occupation Certificate allows commencement of either the occupation or use of a new building (including alterations/extensions) or the new use of an existing building resulting from a change in its use.

Where an Interim Occupation Certificate is issued, a Final Occupation Certificate is still required to be issued when all outstanding building work or the change of use is complete. A Final Occupation Certificate supersedes any previously issued Occupation Certificates. A Final Occupation Certificate is generally required to ensure insurance coverage.

Are Occupation Certificates required for all buildings and building work?

An Occupation Certificate is required for any new building work approved by a Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate, or change of use of a building where the building classification changes under the Building Code of Australia, that has been approved by way of Development Consent, or a Complying Development Certificate.

Occupation Certificates are not required for development that is deemed Exempt Development.

It is an offence to occupy or use any part of a new building unless an occupation certificate has been issued.

Who can issue an Occupation Certificate?

An Occupation Certificate is issued by your Principal Certifying Authority

Back to top Back to top