You may want to upgrade your browser. We have detected you are using Internet Explorer 10 or earlier. It is recommended that you update your browser to the latest version to get a better user experience. Find out more

Your JavaScript is disabled, we suggest you enable it to improve your Council website user experience.
Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide alert announcement. Site wide alert resolved. From Monday 23 March a number of facilities have been temporarily closed.
Skip to main content Menu
Main Content Anchor

Application for consent for works and structures in/on a public road (Section 138)

Where excavation works are intended to be carried out on any Council owned asset, road, footpath or reserve, approval must be obtained from Council (as the Roads Authority and / or as required under Section 138 of the Roads Act 1993).

Road opening permits

Works within the road reserve may include activities like erecting a structure, removing or interfering with a structure, connecting or accessing a public utility service such as electricity, gas, telecommunications or storm water, or any other activities as defined within the Road Act 1993. 

If a road opening is required on a state road, please contact the Roads and Maritime Services on 132 213 for a permit.

What are the permit conditions?

Dial Before You Dig

To avoid damage to underground services and drains, a Dial Before You Dig report needs to be supplied when you lodge your application with us. This free service can be obtained online or by calling 1100.

Safety and Traffic Control

The permit holder is responsible for public safety and must comply to Australian Standard legislation in relation to Safety and Traffic Control.

Silt Control Devices

Silt Control devices must be installed to prevent contamination of Council's stormwater systems.

For more information contact:

  • Council's Environment Section on 02 4645 4000
  • or the Environment Protection Authority on 131 555

Backfill Openings

All openings need to be backfilled to Council specification related to the type of asset affected.

How to apply for a permit

  • Obtain a Dial Before You Dig report, site safety and traffic control plans - these will need to be supplied with your application.
  • At least 48 hours prior to your intended works, apply for Road/Footpath Opening (online)

Upon lodgement of the application, Council officers will undertake a site inspection and assess the site prior to a permit being issued.

Work must not commence until an approval letter has been issued by Council.

Associated costs apply for this permit - please refer to our Fees and Charges.


Vehicle crossing (driveway) applications

If you are planning to modify or construct a vehicle crossing (driveway) from your property boundary to the kerb and gutter or road, you are required to obtain Council approval prior to the commencement of any construction.

All vehicle crossings that are to be constructed across public land are required to be designed and constructed in accordance with Council's relevant standards and specifications and are to be approved by Council.

How to apply for approval

Submit either a:

Residential vehicle crossing application

Fees and Charges will need to be paid when your application is lodged.

A fee quote can be obtained by contacting Council's Customer Service staff on 02 4645 4000

Construction of a vehicle crossing associated with medium density/industrial/commercial development application

Fees and Charges will need to be paid when your application is lodged.

A fee quote can be obtained by contacting Council's Customer Service staff on 02 4645 4000

Obtaining quotes

Once you have received approval for the construction of your vehicle crossing, you can obtain a quote for Council to carry out the works by contacting Council's Customer Service staff on 02 4645 4000.

Otherwise, you can engage the services of a local contractor to construct your vehicle crossing for you.

Back to top Back to top