What is outdoor dining?
Outdoor dining is the use of public domain for the purpose of extending the seating space of a hospitality business for the provision of food and beverages to the general public. It can act as an activity to create a cultural and vibrant town centre and create street activation to attract crowds.
We have joined the NSW Government’s Alfresco Dining Project to make it easier for our businesses to do outdoor dining, and our businesses can now follow an easy streamlined online application process to apply for an outdoor dining permit.
Jump on board and apply to have outdoor dining at your business and contribute towards making our city centres more vibrant and activated.
How to start outdoor dining
Before you can begin outdoor dining at your place of business, you will need to obtain an outdoor dining permit from us. There is no application fee involved with obtaining a permit, you simply need to submit an application for us to review and assess.
We will assess your application against the outdoor dining requirements outlined in section 6.6 of our Street Trading Policy(1MB, PDF) before providing you with an outcome. This will include, but is not limited to:
- Providing a minimum of 2.4 metres of unobstructed pedestrian access at all times between your business and your proposed outdoor dining area
- Providing a clear path of travel for pedestrians, which is free of any obstructions
- Proposed outdoor dining area must not be on steep incline or uneven surfaces
- Proposed outdoor dining area must be adjacent to the kerb and have a clearance of 300mm from the back of the kerb
- Provision of adequate lighting if operating after daylight hours
- Proposed outdoor dining area must not extend beyond shopfront boundary, unless permission has been sought from neighbouring tenant/owner
- A liquor license must be held at all times on premise, and extend to cover the outdoor dining area, for the life of the permit
- Public Liability Insurance with minimum coverage of $20 million, which extends to the proposed outdoor dining site, must be provided (refer to section 7.4 of the Street Trading Policy).
Each application will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
What you can do with outdoor dining
When submitting your application, you will need to outline exactly what you're proposing to include in your outdoor dining activity. You may consider including the use of:
- Outdoor tables
- Outdoor chairs
- Outdoor barriers
- Outdoor planter box
- Outdoor heating
- Outdoor cooling
- Outdoor umbrellas
- Outdoor lighting.
Please refer to the Street Trading Policy(1MB, PDF) to view the requirements for each of the listed items.
Who can apply
If you are a retail food business that serves food or beverages on premise, you are eligible to apply for a permit.
Types of businesses can include, but are not limited to:
- Fast food
If your business does not fall under any of the above categories, please contact us to see if you’re eligible to apply for a permit.
Before you apply
To ensure your application is processed on time, please have the following ready before you begin your online application:
- A COVID Safety Plan
- Public Liability Insurance with coverage of $20million which extends to the proposed outdoor dining site
- Photo/images of the outdoor dining furniture you’re proposing to use
- Photo of the space outside your shopfront where outdoor dining will be conducted
- Drawn site plan of your proposed outdoor dining layout.
How to apply
- Visit the NSW Planning Portal at www.planningportal.nsw.gov.au
- Login using your NSW Planning Portal account, or your Service NSW account. If you do not have an account, you will need to create a new account to create an application
- Start a new application for a Section 125 Roads Act, which covers outdoor dining. Fill out the required information and attach the required documents to lodge your application
- Your application will come through to us via the portal, and we will review your application. If we require anything else from you, we will contact you through the portal
- Once a review has been completed, we will issue you with an outcome on your application through the portal.
Apply for an outdoor dining permit
A connected Campbelltown is a stronger Campbelltown, and we believe that adopting a uniform appearance for outdoor dining throughout our city centres will result in providing the best experience for our businesses and visitors.
To help you get started, please consider the following design considerations to help you formulate your ideas.
Join our city's initiative to maintain our identity as a green city by incorporating a green theme to your outdoor dining. You may consider including:
- Vertical planter boxes against your business façade
- Horizontal planter boxes to create perimeter around outdoor dining area
- Plant beds incorporated into outdoor furniture.
Your outdoor dining furniture must be compact and mobile so that it can be easily moved in and out of your business.
Consider exploring furniture that is modular and is easily storable.
Consider opting for modern contemporary furniture for your outdoor dining that envisions comfort, beauty and sophistication upon first glance.
To achieve this, we ask that your proposed outdoor dining furniture is not made of plastic material.
Consider incorporating what makes Campbelltown, Campbelltown. You.
Your outdoor furniture should enhance the street environment and integrate the unique elements of your surroundings.
You may consider:
- Adding your business branding onto your outdoor furniture
- Adding the Campbelltown branding onto your outdoor furniture
- Utilising similar outdoor furniture utilised by neighbouring businesses.
You must prioritise the safety of all patrons and the general public when conducting outdoor dining. Your outdoor furniture must be:
- Made out of long-lasting durable material
- Heavy enough that it does not move around
- Weather and element resistant.
Need some inspiration on what types of outdoor dining furniture is available? Shop local and visit some of our local businesses who can give you the inspiration you need.
Outdoor Dining Ideas
39 Mount Erin Road, Campbelltown, NSW 2560
Phone: 1300 255 688