For your application to be considered, you must address how you meet the requirements of the job description in your covering letter and provide us with your current resume.
Merit based recruitment
Selection for Campbelltown City Council roles are based on merit. This means we review and compare the information provided by all candidates throughout the recruitment process and select the person whose skills, knowledge, personal qualities and experience best match what we need for a person to be successful in the job.
Throughout our recruitment process we ensure the principles of equal employment opportunity are adhered to and ensure our selection committees reflect a gender balance and include an independent member not from the recruiting.
Before you apply
- Read the job advertisement carefully - all Campbelltown City Council recruitment advertisements include a brief description of the role, a key contact for further information, details on how to apply and a closing date for applications. Keep a copy of the advertisement for your future reference.
- Review the Position Description and Position Requirements - the advertisement gives you basic information, but it is important to review the additional documents attached to the advertisement. These documents will help you understand the position and identify what we are looking for in a suitable candidate.
- Speak to the contact person - after you read the additional documents, you should have a better idea about the role and may have some questions. You can phone or email the key contact named in the advertisement to help find answers. Talking to the key contact may give you a better understanding of the role and what to emphasise in your application.
- Other information - get as much extra information as you can to write a good application. You may want to look at our website, Annual Report or other publications. Campbelltown City Council is a diverse organization and this information will help you understand where the position fits into the organisation.
Understanding the role, what is required and whether you have the right skills and experience are important in deciding whether to apply or not.
Preparing your application
You should ensure that you address all requirements stipulated in the advertisement to be considered for an interview.
Campbelltown City Council may require you to provide some additional information, including writing responses to targeted questions to demonstrate your ability to do the role. You may be asked to answer these questions as part of your covering letter or part of your online application. You will typically need to provide us with:
- Your full name, address and telephone contact numbers
- A summary of your employment history, starting with your current employment. It should detail the positions you have held, including dates of employment, capacity in which you were employed and a brief outline of the main duties.
- Your relevant educational qualifications and professional affiliations. Copies of your qualifications should be attached. You will be required to provide originals of your qualifications at your interview.
- Details of relevant training courses attended.
- The name and contact numbers of at least two work-related referees. Make sure your referees are aware that you are applying for a position with Council so they are prepared if they are contacted.
Your application should clearly explain how your skills and experiences show that you are the best person for the role. Please be aware that any statement on an application that is found to be deliberately misleading could make you, if employed, liable for dismissal.
Points to remember
1. Have you:
- Updated your resume?
- Addressed how you meet the requirements of the job description within your cover letter?
- Used spell-check?
- Identified the position title and position number as stated in the advertisement (if not applying on-line)
2. If you wish to apply for more than one position at the same time, please complete a separate application for each position.
3. Once submitting your application, you will receive an acknowledgement letter or email confirming we have received your application.
How to submit your application
Online applications are preferred, via the positions vacant page.
Alternatively, you can
- Mail to:
The General Manager
Campbelltown City Council
PO Box 57
Campbelltown NSW 2560
- Hand deliveries are also accepted between 8.30am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday at:
Customer Service counter
Campbelltown City Council Civic Centre
Corner Queen and Broughton Streets, Campbelltown
Applications must be received by the closing date.
Notification of an interview
If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted by a member of Council who will notify you of:
- The venue, date and time
- If there will be a test at the time of the interview
- Any additional materials or preparation required by the selection committee, for example samples of work, evidence of qualifications etc.
Preparing for your interview
At the interview, our panel will be seeking to identify your strengths and weaknesses for the role. There are some key elements to understand when preparing for an interview with Council:
- Out interviews are generally formal in structure and process
- There will always be an interview panel
- We will use the Situation - Task - Action - Result (STAR) Method when asking interview questions.