You may want to upgrade your browser. We have detected you are using Internet Explorer 10 or earlier. It is recommended that you update your browser to the latest version to get a better user experience. Find out more

Your JavaScript is disabled, we suggest you enable it to improve your Council website user experience.
Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide alert announcement. Site wide alert resolved. Due to a planned hazard reduction burn, there will be limited access to Georges River Road, Kentlyn from 26 to 27 August, inclusive. Find out how it affects you
Skip to main content Menu
Main Content Anchor

Identification of your pet


The Companion Animals Act requires cats and dogs to be positively and permanently identified from 12 weeks of age. This identification is in the form of a micro-chip.

Your local vet will micro-chip your pet and add its number to the NSW Pet Registry. You can then log in to the registry, make a profile and 'claim' your pet in the Registry database by searching for the micro-chip number and your contact telephone number or email address.

The micro-chip method of identification is separate and in addition to the registration process. Details of your dog/cat are entered onto the statewide register, so if your dog/cat goes missing it can be identified and returned home.

Updating your details

Have you recently changed your details?

If you have changed your address or phone number and your pet's details on the statewide register are out of date, a Change of address form(404KB, PDF) can be completed and forwarded to Council. Please attention to the Animal Care Facility, PO Box 57, Campbelltown NSW 2560.

Keeping your details up to date is important in the event that your pet goes missing as we can contact you if your pet is found and brought in to the Animal Care Facility. If your pet has been notified as missing, please advise Council or the Animal Care Facility when the animal is found.

You can update your details online by logging in to the NSW Pet Registry, creating a profile(39KB, PDF) and 'claiming' your pet by searching for the micro-chip number and your contact telephone number or email address.

Selling or Changing Owners of a pet

Should you sell or change ownership of your companion animal (once microchipped), you are required to change the details on the Companion Animals Register to identify the new owner. Change of Ownership forms are available on the Office of Local Government website or from the Animal Care Facility.

When selling or changing owners of a pet, it is the responsibility of the old owner to complete a change of owner form to update the animal owner details to the current owner. This form must be completed and signed by both the old and the new owners before it can be processed. The completed form must be submitted to your local Council for processing.

Notifiying a death of a pet

If your pet dies, please inform Council to update the details on the statewide register.

Please complete a Notification of Death of a Companion Animal Form(128KB, PDF). This can be filled out by the identified owner and sent to Council via email or post at the addresses listed below.

We cannot accept details of the death of a companion animal over the phone.

Back to top Back to top