You may want to upgrade your browser. We have detected you are using Internet Explorer 10 or earlier. It is recommended that you update your browser to the latest version to get a better user experience. Find out more

Your JavaScript is disabled, we suggest you enable it to improve your Council website user experience.
Skip to main content Menu
Main Content Anchor

Overgrown land

Rangers investigate reports of properties (vacant or occupied) that are overgrown with vegetation.

Council may deem a property to contain overgrown vegetation if the height of vegetation (other than trees/shrubs) ie grass/weeds is approximately 300-400mm or greater in height for more than 40 percent of the grassed area on the premises. An acceptable height for grassed areas is 100mm.

Properties that are overgrown may harbor vermin, spread weed seeds and attract rubbish dumping or vandalism.

Orders are issued under the Local Government Act to land owners of properties that are deemed overgrown with grass and weed to remedy the situation by slashing, mowing and removing refuse to the satisfaction of Council.

Penalties may be imposed upon those owners who fail to comply with a Council Order.

Report an overgrown property

To report an overgrown property, contact Council on 4645 4000.

Back to top Back to top