You may want to upgrade your browser. We have detected you are using Internet Explorer 10 or earlier. It is recommended that you update your browser to the latest version to get a better user experience. Find out more

Your JavaScript is disabled, we suggest you enable it to improve your Council website user experience.
Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide alert announcement. Site wide alert resolved. Due to planned maintenance, some online services listed under Apply/Report/Book/Track/Pay it will be unavailable from 10:30pm Wednesday 19 February to 12:30am on Thursday 20 February 2020.
Skip to main content Menu
Main Content Anchor

Complying Development

What is Complying Development?

Complying Development is a form of development that is small scale, low impact and can be approved either by Council or an Accredited Certifier within either 10 or 20 days of lodgement.

The certificate of approval for the development is known as a ‘Complying Development Certificate’, which:

  • approves the use of the property for that purpose, and
  • enables building work to commence on the property.

The Complying Development Certificate (CDC) is valid for 5 years from the date endorsed on the Certificate. The Certificate will not lapse if the approved development has been physically commenced before the CDC has expired.

Who can I make an application for a Complying Development Certificate with?

An application for a Complying Development Certificate can be made with the local Council or an Accredited Certifier.

Unlike an approval issued under a normal Development Application process, Complying Development has a predetermined set of development standards, outcomes and conditions.

There are generally two main policies applicable to Complying Development:

  1. State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 (the General Housing Code SEPP) which specifies complying development under that Policy. The General Housing Code SEPP has state-wide application and commenced on 27 February 2009.

    The NSW Planning Portal can provide further information. Otherwise you can contact the NSW Department of Planning and Infrastructure's Information Centre on 1300 305 695 or by email
  2. State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009 (AHSEPP) which specifies development under that policy for secondary dwelling's. The AHSEPP has state-wide application.

    Otherwise you can contact the NSW Department of Planning and Infrastructure's Affordable Rental Housing Taskforce on (02) 9228 6111 or by email

 What if my proposal does not comply with all requirements?

A Complying Development proposal is required to strictly adhere to the relevant provisions of the applicable SEPP. There is no ability to vary standards or rules for proposals to be assessed as Complying Development.

For this purpose, it is important to ensure that with every application for a Complying Development Certificate, a statement is included with the application nominating which SEPP the application should be assessed under to be deemed Complying Development.

As there are no merit based considerations, your application (plans and supporting documents) will need to be very detailed and will need to provide clear and concise evidence of compliance with each of the requirements of the relevant SEPP (or relevant Council policies).

Can I seek advice on whether my proposal can be considered Complying Development prior to the making of a Complying Development Application?

Unless there is absolute certainty, you should always seek advice on whether your proposal can be considered as Complying Development.

A development proposal can not be considered as Complying Development if:

  • the proposal does not strictly comply with all the requirements of the relevant Complying Development Policy; or
  • the provisions allowing Complying Development do not apply to the land on which the development is proposed.

In the case that one or both of the above scenarios were revealed through the assessment of your Complying Development application, the Consent Authority would not be able to approve the Complying Development application.

If the proposal can not be considered as Complying Development, it may be the case that the proposal can be assessed under a full Development Application instead.

Please refer to the NSW Planning Portal to see if your proposal can be considered as Complying Development.

The following statement must be completed and submitted with your application as evidence that you have made every effort to ensure that your application is Complying Development.

Can I appeal against a decision to refuse my Complying Development application?

Unlike a Development proposal assessed under a full Development Application, in the case of Complying Development, the applicant has no Right of Appeal against the decision made by Consent Authority nor does the applicant have any Right of Appeal against a Consent Authority's failure to approve or refuse to issue a Complying Development Certificate.

Back to top Back to top