Private Land Conservation

Private Land Conservation

Find out about opportunities to enhance private property for the protection of native plants and animals through Council's Land for Wildlife and Koalatown Certified Properties programs.

What are the benefits of Private Land Conservation?

Campbelltown's plants and animals cannot be conserved adequately by the public reserve system alone. The Campbelltown region is an area of critical habitat connectivity for our wildlife and we need to retain corridors and connect bushland remnants. This is why we are encouraging and supporting landholders within Campbelltown to take steps towards conserving the natural features on their property.

Both Land for Wildlife (LFW) and Koalatown Certified Properties (KCP) support people who want information about wildlife management on their property and provide opportunities for landholders to share their experiences with other landholders and partner organisations, through:

  • Information about wildlife management
  • Information about the role of wildlife and native vegetation in sustainable agriculture to control pest species, provide shade and shelter, manage salinity and control wind and water erosion
  • Land for Wildlife registered properties are eligible to apply for funding opportunities from a variety of different sources
  • Membership links and contacts with like-minded people
  • Notes and news on particular management issues
  • Signs for property owners who have properties registered with the scheme
  • Access to education programs and activities.

Private Land Conservation Signs

Land for Wildlife (LFW)

Land for Wildlife (LFW) is a free, voluntary, and non-binding program that recognises the importance of habitat protection on private property. It aims to encourage and support private landholders and community groups to preserve and restore as much habitat for wildlife as possible on their properties. Properties are assessed against specific criteria and receive access to officer support, incentives and grants.

LFW in New South Wales is co-ordinated by the Community Environment Network (CEN) in partnership with the Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH).

All you need is 0.5 hectares to contribute to join the scheme (just over 1 acre).

LFW program delivery

The LFW program encourages and assists landholders to include nature conservation along with other land management objectives, it is free to join and is not legally binding. Registration in the scheme will not change the legal status of a property.

A community-based approach is taken for the delivery of LFW in NSW, with regional delivery carried out by Campbelltown City Council. These regional arrangements are co-ordinated state wide by the Community Environment Network (CEN).

Regional delivery includes:

  • Site assessments
  • Advice on suggested management strategies and actions for the property
  • Support and encouragement for landholders to carry out nature conservation on their land.

Koalatown Certified Properties (KCP)

Koalatown Certified Properties (KCP) is a local koala stewardship program for rural landholders in the Campbelltown Local Government Area.

You can become a Koalatown Certified Property by demonstrating the following on your property:

  • Report all sightings of koalas to 02 4645 4601 or or download the I Spy Koala App on Android and Apple
  • Report sick or injured wildlife to WIRES 0466 318 688 or Sydney Wildlife 02 9413 4300
  • Keep dogs secured while you are not at home and preferably indoors at night
  • Retain and conserve koala food trees on your property
  • Plant koala food trees on your property
  • Ensure your fences are koala friendly (30cm gap at bottom, no barbed wire, wooden posts) and that a second internal secure fence (Colorbond or alike) is used to keep your dog in and koalas out.
  • Drape a secured piece of rope into your swimming pool to enable koalas to climb out if they fall in.

If you're interested in becoming a Koalatown Certified Property, select this option in the Private Land Conservation form and we will get in touch with you.

Apply for Private Land Conservation

If you're interested in these programs please complete the Private Land Conservation form and we will be in touch with you.

Apply now

Contact us

If you'd like more information about this program please contact our Natural Areas Team on 4645 4601 or

Frequently Asked Questions

How does my property qualify for membership in the Land for Wildlife program?

When assessing a property for registration with LFW important considerations are the area and condition of native vegetation. The property management should integrate nature conservation with other objectives such as farming.

The minimum area is 0.5 Ha. of native vegetation and a commitment to good land management is required.

Does Land for Wildlife or Koalatown Certified Properties change the status of my property?

No, LFW and KCP does not change any rights or the legal status of the property.

Is my information confidential?

Yes, all property and personal information collected with LFW and KCP is confidential to the program.

If I leave the program, what happens?

On leaving the program you will need to advise the Regional Coordinator and return your LFW and KCP Sign.

Can Land for Wildlife status be transferred when I sell my property?

No, LFW registration is conferred on the landholder, however, the new owners are welcome to apply to be registered.

Is access to my property by hunters or the general public altered by membership of Land for Wildlife?

No, registration does not change the private property status of the property.

How can I protect conservation values on my property in the long term?

If you wish to protect the conservation values of your land in the long term, there are several options available including, Wildlife Refuges and Voluntary Conservation Agreements, a brochure outlining these programs in detail is available from your Assessor.

How do I obtain assistance with planning my property for wildlife conservation through the Land for Wildlife program?

Advice and assistance is available to properties registered with LFW through local networks, council and assessors. Membership of LFW will mean you are in touch with like minded people or local organisations to assist or advise you.

What about plants?

Habitat and native plants are important parts of Land for Wildlife, so locally collected seeds are important in maintaining the quality of the vegetation. Advice on plants and regeneration will be provided during the LFW Assessment.

My property does not contain any natural bushland, what do I need to do before I can join Land for Wildlife?

If your property is completely cleared then you need to restore some native vegetation to join LFW. Select an area to regenerate before you talk to your local LFW Coordinator.

Is my property exempt from a direction to reduce fire hazard from the Rural Fire Service?

No, LFW does not change the status of your property and you are required to comply with such directions. However, there are avenues available for appeal and review to protect valuable habitat.

What happens during a Land for Wildlife and Koalatown Certified Property inspection?

The assessor has a checklist of key items for discussion and this can be sent to you or downloaded from the CEN website prior to the assessor’s visit.

At the inspection the assessor will discuss land management and retention of habitat with you and fill out the Assessment Form and send you a copy.

How can I prepare for the Private Land Conservation Property Assessment?

Before the assessor visits, you may wish to make some notes about items you wish to discuss, these may be:

Your aims/plans

  • What are your aims for the property?
  • Which areas do you intend to manage for nature conservation?
  • In which areas do you intend to integrate wildlife habitat with other uses?

Pest animals and plants

  • What pest animals and plants are present on the property?
  • What methods of control have traditionally been employed to control pests?
  • What plants are native and which are introduced?
  • Are there any that you are concerned about?

You may wish to press a specimen whilst in flower to assist identification.

Problem wildlife

  • Are wildlife species causing problems for other activities carried out on the property?

You can ask the assessor for advice on control options.