Food businesses

Registration of a food business

All retail food businesses are required to be registered with Council and the NSW Food Authority prior to the business opening and operating. This is a requirement under the Food Act 2003. To register your business, complete the Food Business Registration Form(PDF, 194KB) and return to Council for processing. Fines may be issued to food businesses that fail to register their details.


Our Environmental Heath Officers carry out unannounced inspections of all retail food businesses to ensure they are complying with legislative requirements. This includes checking on matters such as:

  • cleanliness
  • food temperature control
  • hygiene and food handling procedures
  • pest control
  • condition of equipment and appliances
  • construction of equipment and appliances
  • construction and maintenance of the premises.

How often will my food shop be inspected?

The risk classification of the food premises will determine how frequent the shop is inspected"

  • Low Risk Premises: are inspected on a complaint basis. Shops in this category include pre-packaged catering outlets, variety stores, confectionery shops, chemists, video stores and news agencies.
  • Medium Risk Premises: are inspected once per year. Shops in this category include fruit and vegetable stores, service stations, convenience stores, health food shops and general grocery stores that do not sell potentially hazardous foods.
  • High Risk Premises: are inspected twice per year. Shops in this category include restaurants, takeaway shops, bakeries, cafes, clubs, pubs, childcare centres, school canteens, supermarkets, fish shops and delicatessens.

What fees are involved?

After each food inspection is conducted, an itemised invoice is forwarded to proprietor. Where a re-inspection is required, resulting from an unsatisfactory inspection, an additional fee is charged.

We also charge an annual administration fee to all food businesses that are inspected at least once per year.

Inspection and annual administration fees are charged in accordance with Council's Fees and Charges.

What happens to food businesses that fail to comply with the food laws?

The following list provides guidance as to what action Council can take should non-compliance matters be found during an inspection:

  • Re-inspections of the premises until the breaches have been rectified.
  • Verbal or written warning.
  • Penalty Notice which may be displayed on the NSW Food Authority Name and Shame Register.
  • Improvement Notice that requires work to be done within a specific time frame.
  • Prohibition Order that requires the mandatory closure of a food business, or part premises or equipment until a clearance certificate is issued by Council.
  • Court prosecution.