Operating a Home-based business


What is a home-based business?

A 'home-based business' means a business, whether or not involving the sale of items online, that is carried on in a dwelling, or in a building ancillary to a dwelling such as a garage or studio, by one or more permanent residents of the dwelling. 

A home-based business must not:

  • employ more than two people (other than those living in the residence)
  • be more than 30 square metres 
  • impact with the amenity of the neighbourhood due to the emission of noise, vibration, smell, fumes, smoke, vapour, steam, soot, ash, dust, waste water, waste products, grit or oil, traffic generation or otherwise
  • display unsightly matter than can be viewed from adjacent premises or from a public place 
  • display more than one business identification sign
  • offer goods for sale that are not produced in the home business (with the exception of online retail sales). 

Bed and Breakfast (B&B) accommodation requires prior approval to operate - either a complying development certificate or a development application, as well as a home-based food business permit.

What type of home-based businesses require Council approval?

Home-based businesses that require approval to ensure practices are compliant with planning regulations, as well as health and safety standards include: 

Home-based food businesses

Cooking food for sale from home still carries with it the same legal responsibilities and requirements as those that apply to commercial food premises.

Preparing or storing food at home for later sale is considered a food business and requires approval to ensure that food-safe practices are in place and your business is registered.

Examples of home-based food businesses include:

  • preparing food for sale at markets or school canteens
  • home-based caterers making low risk foods (non-potentially hazardous foods) such as jams, preserves, cakes, biscuits, muffins, scones and confectionary
  • food prepared at bed and breakfast accommodation.

Find out more about applying to run a home-based food business

Home-based hair, skin penetration and beauty businesses

Hairdressers, skin penetration and beauty businesses from home still carries with it the same legal responsibilities and requirements as those that apply to commercial hairdressers, beauty and skin penetration premises.

Conducting hairdressingskin penetration and beauty treatments from your home is considered a home business and in some cases, prior development approval is required to ensure that these practices are compliant with the planning regulations and public health and safety standards.

Find out more about running a home-based hair, skin or beauty business

Family Day Care Provider

Family Day Care educators are required to work under the Children (EACS National Law Application) Bill 2010, the Education and Care Services National Regulations and the National Quality Standards.

Our Family Day Care educators are registered with Campbelltown City Council as the Approved Service Provider.

Registered educators are required to have:

  • A minimum qualification of Certificate lll in Children's Services or a higher Early Childhood qualification such as a Diploma or Bachelor
  • First Aid certificate
  • Asthma and Anaphylaxis certificates
  • Some business administration knowledge
  • Working with Children Check
  • Home safety inspection
  • Public Liability insurance
  • Adequate equipment

Health and safety - regulations and standards ensure that your home and garden are hygienic and safe for the children.

Find out more about becoming a home-based childcare provider


Where can I find out more about starting and running a home business? 

The NSW Small Business Commissioner has developed an online resource to make it easier for you to start or grow a home-based business in NSW. 

Access the Small Business Commissioners Home-based Business Guide