Hairdressers, Beauty and Skin Penetration Premises
If you operate a hairdressing or beauty salon, or operate a business that performs skin penetration procedures, you must register with Council.
Council regulates hairdressers and barbers under the Local Government Act 1993 and skin penetration premises under the Public Health Act 2010. Skin penetration premises must also meet the requirements of the Public Health Regulation 2022, associated Australian Standards and NSW Health Guidelines.
Register your business with Council
When you believe your business is ready for operation, contact Council's Environmental Health and Compliance Team on 02 4645 4604 so that an inspection can take place.
While carrying out inspections, our Environmental Health Officers focus on a wide range of issues including:
- Cleanliness of the premises to ensure the health of the public is protected when they receive treatments or services from these premises
- Hygiene practices to ensure operators are aware of their obligations to carry out safe, clean and hygienic procedures
- Construction and maintenance of the premises to ensure that premises where procedures are undertaken comply with the relevant standards.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often will my hair salon, beauty salon or skin penetration business be inspected?
The number of inspections you receive will depend largely on the type of skin penetration procedures carried out on the premises.
- Premises conducting activities such as hairdressing and low risk beauty treatments receive one annual inspection.
- Tattoo shops, nail artistry, body piercing and premises that perform complex skin penetration procedures are considered high risk and receive two annual inspections.
Are there inspection fees involved?
After each inspection is conducted, an itemised invoice is forwarded to the proprietor.
In the event that a routine health inspection fails to pass minimum health standards, a re-inspection is carried out to ensure that correct procedures are being maintained. Additional fees apply to premises requiring re-inspection.
Inspection fees are charged in accordance with Council's Fees and Charges.
Making a complaint about a hairdresser, beauty and skin penetration premises
In addition to routine safety inspections, our Environmental Health Officers are available to investigate consumer complaints or concerns about a particular premise or activity.
Complaints may include:
- dirty premises
- the use of dirty, unsterile equipment
- unhygienic practices
- pest activity.
Complaints can be made by contacting our Customer Service section on 02 4645 4000.
Please be aware that our role is to ensure compliance with the current laws in a fair and reasonable manner. Our service does not extend to providing legal advice and does not seek compensation on behalf of customers.
These website may provide useful information including legislation and fact sheets:
For further information on infection control procedures, please refer to the NSW Health Skin Penetration industry page and these other Department fact sheets:
Contact Environmental Health and Compliance Team