The Macarthur Nature Photography Competition is an opportunity for you to help highlight the beauty of our region - so dust off your camera and get ready to capture our beautiful local environment.
Entries for the 2021 Macarthur Nature Photography Competition are now open!
In a world seemingly overloaded by a daily avalanche of images, through Instagram, Facebook and television, a striking image can still cut through the clutter of it all, revealing to us something in our worlds that we have been missing.
The Macarthur councils once again is hosting the highly anticipated Macarthur Nature Photography Competition (MNPC) and is encouraging our community to enter your most striking, engaging and enticing images of local native flora, wildlife and natural scenery taken from within the Macarthur area.
How to enter
Entry is easy! This competition is open to residents who live in the Macarthur region (Campbelltown, Camden and Wollondilly Local Government Areas).
- Head on outside and take some photos that relate to the competition categories
- Before you submit your entry, please ensure you have read the Terms and Conditions of the competition to ensure your entry is eligible
- You can also check out the photography tips and tricks and learn about the native plants and animals of the Macarthur region to help you get started with your photography journey.
Due to COVID-19 this year's competition will be entirely online and with no cost to enter.
The four categories for the Macarthur Nature Photography Competition are:
Images that showcase the diverse array of native flora found within the Macarthur region (i.e. plants, flowers, trees, leaves, bark).
Images that celebrate our unique native fauna found within the Macarthur region (i.e. birds, mammals, invertebrates, reptiles, amphibians).
Images reflecting an aspect of the lakes, rivers and creeks of the Macarthur region (i.e. Thirlmere Lakes, Georges River, Nepean River and their tributaries). Ensure you are up to date with the current restrictions.
Landscapes of Macarthur
Panoramic images of characteristic landscapes and views of the Macarthur highlighting the unique features of the region (i.e. sunsets/sunrises, local nature reserves, and national parks).
For inspiration, check out the Macarthur Nature Photography Competition Gallery of last year’s entries.
Campbelltown Hospital arts collection
In 2021, Macarthur Nature Photography Competition entrants have the opportunity to have their entries considered for inclusion in the Campbelltown Hospital arts collection, with the potential for nominated images to be featured within the hospitals new clinical services building or existing buildings.
Find out more information on the importance of arts and culture for the project.
Primary school aged (5 to 12 years)
- $100 cash and $100 Narellan Town Centre voucher for first place in each theme
- $75 cash for second place in each theme
High school aged (13 to 18 years)
- $150 cash and $100 Narellan Town Centre voucher for first place in each theme
- $100 cash for second place in each theme
Open section (18+ years)
- $250 cash and $100 Narellan Town Centre voucher for first place in each theme
- $150 cash for second place in each theme
Don't forget! The People's Choice Award is back again this year with an amazing prize for the most popular photo, voted by YOU through our online photo gallery.
When students fill out their entry form, all they need to do is specify their age and parent's contact details to go in the running to win a prize for themselves in one of the four main categories.
Cameras come in all shapes and forms these days, encourage students to snap a shot on their smart phone, iPad or camera.
The competition is a great way to engage students in a range of syllabus content and can easily translate into the at-home learning environment for parents and online classes for teachers.
You can use our Primary School Teachers Resource Booklet(3MB, PDF) or High School Teachers Resource Booklet(8MB, PDF) to help deliver this to students.
Entering multiple students or classes? download and complete our Macarthur Nature Photography Competition Entry Form 2021(1MB, PDF).
Submit your entry
Enter Photography Competition
Competition opens: Monday 13 September 2021
Competition closes: Friday 15 October 2021
Announcement of 2021 winners
- An online album of each age category winner has been developed by the Macarthur Councils and can be viewed on our Facebook page
- The winners were announced and shared online via social media, during November 2021 with the winners being contacted ahead of time
- All entries are available to view via Council’s website through Flickr.
For more information please contact our Environmental Education Officer email@example.com.