Rose Payten wins the New South Wales singles tennis championship.
School of Arts is opened.
The telephone exchange opens.
Menangle Park Racecourse officially opened, although racing had taken place there as early as the 1870s.
There are 50 subscribers with a telephone between Menangle and Minto.
Soldier settlement is commenced.
Campbelltown Herald changes it's name to the Campbelltown News.
We celebrated Campbelltown's centenary.
Campbelltown connected to electricity: opened by Mayoress, Mrs C.N. Hannaford on the evening of 23 January 1924.
A picture theatre is built.
Campbelltown golf club is formed.
Talking Pictures arrive at the Macquarie cinema.
An overbridge is built over Queen Street.
- Campbelltown Council starts the first sewerage scheme.
- Ingleburn Weir is constructed between 6 March 1939 and 22 January 1940. The weir was constructed by local Fred Goodsell.
Campbelltown Pre-School Kindergarten established.
Ingleburn and Campbelltown Municipal councils are amalgamated.
A Campbelltown Chamber of Commerce was founded.
Veterinary Laboratory established at Glenfield.
The 'Campbelltown News' becomes 'the Campbelltown Ingleburn News'.
- Population: 9690.
- Nepean River County Council electricity Authority formed to serve the area.
- The first Council naturalisation ceremony held.
- Campbelltown High School established.
The first Fisher's Ghost festival is held.
- Proposal for the satellite town of Minto dropped by the NSW Government.
- Campbelltown golf course opened.
- The historic cottages in Queen Street are preserved by a resolution of Campbelltown Council.
- The Campbelltown News office (Now Macarthur Advertiser) building is restored to the Georgian style.
Campbelltown Ambulance Station is opened thanks to monies raised by the first four Fisher's Ghost Festivals.
- Kath Whitten is elected as Campbelltown's first female mayor.
- Population 18701.
- New Fire Station built in Broughton Street.
- Camden Railway closed.
Building our first high rise, the administration centre opened on Saturday 28 November 1964. It was easily the highest building in the town and was seen kilometres around Campbelltown. Mayor Fraser at the time called it "a symbol of our faith in the future".
- Campbelltown is declared a city.
- The railway to Sydney is electrified.
- 1970 Our 150th anniversary is celebrated.
- The historic building of Glenalvon is renovated.
- The Campbelltown New City Development board is formed by the State Planning Authority to draw up the "Three cities Plan (Campbelltown-Camden-Appin)".
New City Library opened.
Three Cities plan released.
- The first of a number of large scale housing commission projects are built. The first is at Macquarie Fields. It is developed kilometres away from rail and has little infrastructure.
- Second Olympic Pool at Macquarie Fields.
- Freeway opens: the first 9.8km long section of the F5 from The Cross Roads to Raby Road was opened to traffic on 26 October 1973.
- Four man delegation visits Commonwealth Games in Christchurch, New Zealand to observe and plan a possible submission from Campbelltown to host in either 1982 or 1986.
- Population est: 43000
- Campbelltown City Rugby League Club officially opened.
- Glenquarie Shopping Centre opens.
- First Fisher's Ghost Fun Run held on Sunday 2 November, 1975.
The Macarthur Growth Centre budget is cut to $2 million, reputedly cut from an earmarked $41 million. According to the government of the day this was to return Campbelltown to a "natural growth".
Campbelltown Hospital officially opened by Premier Neville Wran on 1 October 1977.
The 2CT Macarthur radio station opens.
- Fourteen men killed in the Appin mine disaster.
- Macarthur Square officially opens on Monday 10 September 1979.
- Hurlstone Agricultural High School accepts female students.
The intersection of Queen Street and Lithgow is paved.
- Twin Cinema opens.
- Campbelltown College of Technical and Further Education (TAFE) opens.
- The Newtown Jets play out of Orana Park , Campbelltown but last only one season before being cut from the premiership.
- Blairmount Public School opens.
- Campbelltown Mall opens.
- Queen Street, between the historical Georgian buildings and the mall is closed to traffic.
- April, Campbelltown becomes a sister city to the Japanese city of Koshigaya and established Koshigaya Park.
- Campbelltown Hospital's Maternity unit opens.
- The suburb Glen Alpine is launched by Lend Lease.
- Western Suburbs Magpies make their home ground at Orana Park in Leumeah.
- Former long standing Town Clerk Harley Daley dies.
- Campbelltown Bicentennial Art Gallery Opens.
- Mount Annan Botanic Garden opens.
The Macarthur Institute of Higher education becomes the University of Western Sydney.
- The Greater Union 9 cinema complex is opened at Macarthur Square.
- July 1990, Premier Nick Greiner officially opens Bow Bowing Estate, established by Long Homes and planned to incorporate 350 homes.
- Macarthur Floods: 300mm of rain in 48 hours.
- Local MP John Kerrin appointed federal treasurer.
- Scenic Hills given boundary to protect it from development (Scenic Protection Zone).
- Retirement of former mayor Gordon Fetterplace.
O'Hare's Creek declared a reserve.
- Koala habitat successfully saved from developers.
- Catholic Cemetery vandalised. Headstones of James and Elizabeth Ruse moved to Campbelltown and Airds Historical Society.
Former Miss Spirit of Campbelltown Caroline Byrne murdered.
- Population est: 143,773
- Trial of suspected Backpacker murderer Ivan Milat begins at Campbelltown and lasts 15 weeks.