History of Bardia
The suburb of Bardia, the Ingleburn Army Camp section of the Edmondson Park land release, was named in recognition of the strong military history of the site, and to honour the contributions of the thousands of soldiers who trained at the Bardia Barracks within the Ingleburn Army Camp during conflicts including World War II, Vietnam and Korea.
Ingleburn Army Camp was the first purpose built facility for the training of infantry units in WWII, unlike previous military encounters, by WWII the nature of warfare had become more technical and required infantry soldiers to undertake more training in order to operate new types of weapons and transport.
Construction of the Ingleburn Army Camp commenced in October 1939 on land granted to James Meehan in 1816. Meehan was granted an area called Macquarie Fields which incorporated what would eventually become Defence land.
Bardia Barracks was built at the start of World War II, originally named Balikpapan Barracks, the name was changed in September 1954 at the request of the distinguished Commanding Officer Lt Col I. B. Ferguson to commemorate the Australian Infantry Forces role in the Battle of Bardia, the capture of the town of Bardia in Libya during the early stages of the war. Bardia was the site of the first battle fought by Australian troops in the Second World War. On the morning of 3 January 1941, troops of the 16th Brigade of the 6th Australian Division attacked and broke through the western face of the defensive perimeter, while the 2/6th Battalion mounted a diversion in the south. Troops of the 17th Australian Brigade joined the fighting later in the morning to clear the southern portion of the Italian defences, while the 16th Brigade advanced toward Bardia itself. The attack had cost the 6th Division 130 men killed and 326 wounded but netted them approximately 40,000 Italian prisoners and large quantities of arms, rations, equipment, and alcohol. All of which was put to good use by the Australians.
Entrance to Bardia Barracks at the Ingleburn Military Camp in 1997
With the abolition of conscription in 1972 the Camp was used for a variety of, primarily Reservist, military functions until March 1997 when Bardia Barracks closed its gates.
The suburb of Bardia includes the former Ingleburn Military Camp east of Campbelltown Road to the Freeway, including the Ingleburn Gardens estate. Ingleburn Gardens, the first development of the land release, had its building plans lodged by Monarch Investments Group with Campbelltown Council in August 2006 with construction beginning in 2008. The New Breeze Precinct was released in 2016 which encompasses the newer land releases of The Point and The Parkside which were released in 2017. Facilities such as Bardia Public School, the future Edmondson Park Town Centre and Edmondson Park Train Station are all within walking distance of the Precinct.
Maxwell Creek Oval, expected to be completed by the end of 2020, includes a cricket ground, two full-sized rugby league and soccer fields, nature-based play area, flying fox, swings and slides, picnic area, shaded barbecue precinct, climbing equipment and an amenities building servicing the sports facilities.
Names of veterans who were active in the capture of the Battle of Bardia such as Ian Bruce Ferguson, Arthur Allen and Paul Cullen are honoured in the street names, whilst Digger Lane, a military slang term for soldiers from Australia and New Zealand, pays its respect to the thousands of diggers who were trained at the Ingleburn Army Camp.
Macarthur Chronicle 1/8/16 page 1, 3; 8/8/06 page 25, 6; 22/8/06 page 3
Macarthur Advertiser 16/8/06 page 5; 2/8/06 page 3; 12/8/98 page 9; 6/11/96 page 25; 10/10/07 page 2; 10/4/17; 24/8/18
Defence land at Ingleburn 1000585445
Nashos in Australia 1965-1973 plus Ingleburn Army Camp/ edited by Brian Battle 1000872238
Battle of Bardia on the Australian War Memorial Website
New Breeze Website