History of Macquarie Links
Construction on the Macquarie Links estate commenced in 1996. The first gated community in the City of Campbelltown, the suburb will include 300 homes, a community centre, a hotel, an 18 hole golf course, clubhouse and flora and fauna reserve.
The physical area of this unique community is bordered by the Bunbury Curran Creek, Ingleburn Industrial Area, the southern railway line, the Hurlstone Agricultural High School and Glenfield Park Special School and the Hume Highway. The surveyor, James Meehan, was the first European granted ownership of the land in this area of the City of Campbelltown.
Macquarie Links was officially recognised as a suburb name by the Geographical Names Board in August 1997. The name pays homage to Governor Macquarie, the fifth governor of the penal colony of New South Wales. It also recognises the heritage of nearby Macquarie Field House(PDF, 50KB), built on James Meehan's grant. Meehan also named after his grant after Macquarie.
The suburb name also cleverly alludes to the Scottish heritage of Governor Macquarie in the "links" of the golf course. The golf links wind gently through the new gated estate. The sport of golf developed in Scotland as early as the fifteenth century according to Encyclopedia Britannica.
The land developers, Monarch Investments, were keen to honour the significant contribution that Governor Macquarie made to the foundation, and ultimate viability of the penal colony of New South Wales. Monarch's promotional brochures for the development state, "Macquarie endeavoured 'to make this country a happy home to every emancipated convict who deserves it'....We are proud to associate Macquarie Links with the man who left such great legacy to our country and its part of our vision that Maquarie Links will be a legacy to be enjoyed by future generations."
Streets in the suburb highlight historical associations with Governor Macquarie, and his Scottish heritage. Governors Way and Macquarie Links Drive pay direct homage to Lachlan Macquarie.
Hebrides Avenue is a reference to Macquarie's birthplace on the island of Ulva, Inner Hebrides, Scotland.
Lochburie Way is believed to be named after Loch Buie/Lochbuie both a straight of water and a village on the Island of Mull, Scotland. Scaranish Way is possibly named after the town of Scarinish, on the Isle of Tiree, in the Scottish Innner Hebredes.
Lord Castlereagh Circuit honours the British secretary of state for the colonies who was instrumental in the appointment of Lachlan Macquarie as the Governor of the convict colony of New South Wales. Macquarie arrived in the storeship Dromedary, with his second wife, Elizabeth Henrietta in Sydney Harbour, 31 December 1809. His first wife Jane Jarvis had died of consumption in Macao in 1796. In 1804 Macquarie had become Laird, or owner, of the Lochbuy estate upon his uncle's death. Macquarie renamed the estate Jarvisfield in honour of his first wife.
James Meehan Way honours the man to whom Macquarie granted the land on which Macquarie Field House was later built. Meehan obviously respected Governor Macquarie. Homestead Way recognises the heritage of Macquarie Field House(PDF, 50KB).
Rebellion Place is a reminder of the Rum rebellion which saw Governor Bligh dismissed as Governor of the colony and Governor Maquarie installed as his successor. During his term as governor, Macquarie commissioned many public buildings which remain today as testament to his vision for the colony.
Many of them are still in Macquarie Street, Sydney. Francis Greenway, himself a convict/architect, with the help of convict labour built impressive structures such as St James Church, King Street and Hyde Park Barracks. Barrack Circuit recognises the enormous contribution Macquarie played in constructing public buildings.
The pride and sense of permanence that the Governor's public works program gave colonists, boosted civic pride and prevented the lawlessness that had characterised the early years of the colony, especially during the rum rebellion. The grand public buildings of Sydney town gave the settlement a sense of community and a sense of a permanence.
However, the cost of this public works scheme helped to make Macquarie rather unpopular with the colonial administrators back on England.
Forbes Avenue is most likely honouring Sir Francis Forbes who was Chief Justice of the colony from his arrival in March 1824. Strathwallen Close is a reference to William Drummond who later became Lord Strathallan, and was Macquarie's executor. He had been with Macquarie in Macao when his first wife Jane died.
Quarter Master Row is named after a rank on board sailing ships. A 'quartermaster' is a 'petty officer responsible for the steering of a ship.'
By 2006, Macquarie Links estate is nearing completion. Macquarie Links is a new suburb with historical ties to the earliest days of colonial administration in New South Wales.
© Campbelltown City Library. Not to be reproduced without permission.