1800 - 1809
- John Warby is appointed Government Herdsman. He lives in "Cowpasture hut" which stood near Elderslie, on the bank of the Nepean River.
- On instructions from Lord Camden, John Macarthur is granted 5000 acres of land in order to breed fine-wool sheep to export back to British factories. He chooses the Cowpastures site.
1810 - 1819
- Appin Massacre
- James Meehan, deputy surveyor-general granted acres at Macquarie Fields.
- John Warby builds Leumeah House.
1820 - 1829
- Governor Lachlan Macquarie founds Campbell Town naming it after Mrs Elizabeth Macquarie (nee Campbell). Its limits are marked out as well as the sites for a church cemetery and school.
- During this decade, James Ruse experiments in the area with wheat crops.
- St Peter's Church opens. The only other buildings in the township are a few bark huts and a school house.
- John Macarthur exports wool from nearby Camden.1826 George Frederick James Fisher found murdered in Local creek bed.
- Mail service to Campbelltown begins.
- Private buildings begin to appear between Allman and Broughton Streets.
- First Post Office opened.
- First Doctor takes residence.
- First Superintendent of Local Police appointed.
- 1829 Campbelltown to Bong Bong coach service commenced.
1830 - 1839
- Water reservoir built at the upper end of Dumaresq Street. An 'iron gang' was sent for the purpose under the command of Captain Allman.
- 1834 John Macarthur, agricultural pioneer, dies.
- 1835 First story of Fisher's Ghost published.
- Camden Park House completed.
- James Ruse, producer of rust free wheat, dies.
- 1838 Sydney - Liverpool - Campbelltown - Appin service commenced.
1840 - 1849
- St John's Church opened.
- There are now 77 houses in a town of 16 streets.
- Opening of Campbelltown court of petty sessions.
- 1848 Population: 541.
1850 - 1859
- Two-thirds of the adult population can read and write.
- Menangle Bridge constructed.
- Railway line to Sydney begins service.
- Campbelltown railway station opened.
1860 - 1861
- Grapes are grown in region.
- Railway line continued to Picton.
- Population: 950.
- There are 17 hotels now in Campbelltown.
1870 - 1879
- The C.B.C our first bank is established.
- Dairying begins at Mount Gilead.
- The first Public School opens. Education had previously been borne by churches and small private academies.
- A Public meeting seeks to form a local council.
1880 - 1889
- The Campbelltown Herald, our first newspaper is published.
- Wheat production falls.
- A Tramway to Camden is opened.
- First council is elected.
- Campbelltown Courthouse erected.
Campbelltown connected to Nepean River Water supply.
1890 - 1899
- Fire station established.
- Ingleburn Municipal Council formed.
- Agricultural society is formed and put on 'The Campbelltown Show'.
Time line of Macarthur District by T. Robinson, Leumeah High School 1979.
Notes on the History of the Macarthur Growth Centre Area - Macarthur development board in conjunction with the Campbelltown and Airds historical Society. 1978
Campbelltown a Bicentennial History by Carol Liston. 1988.
Campbelltown a modern history 1960 -1999 by Jeff McGill 1999.