Dead or Injured Animals

Campbelltown City Council is able to help with a number of animal issues and concerns.

Dead animals on council land

We will send someone out to collect dead animals from council owned parks, roads and footpath areas.

  • Just complete the report a dead animal form
  • Requests are actioned within 1 business day if lodged between Monday to Friday from 7.30am to 3.30pm
  • Requests lodged outside of these hours will be actioned the following business day.

We do not collect dead animals from:

  • Private land - contact the property owner
  • RMS roads (Hwy, M5) - call RTA Incident Reporting on 131 700
  • Department of Housing - contact Housing NSW for more information.

If your pet has died, local vets provide disposal services, or check the yellow pages for pet cemeteries.

Injured animals

Any animal which is injured is not seized under the Companion Animals Act but under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 (POCTA).

POCTA provides that where a cat or dog has been injured in a vehicle accident:

  • The driver of the vehicle is responsible for ensuring that it receives appropriate treatment to alleviate pain
  • The driver must also, as soon as practicable, inform the owner of the animal, or an officer of the RSPCA, Animal Welfare League (AWL) or a police officer (section 14).

In any circumstance where an animal is injured, for example, as the result of an attack by another animal:

  • If a person seizes or takes charge of the animal, that person is responsible for ensuring that the animal receives any necessary veterinary treatment (section 5(3))
  • If the cat or dog is severely injured or unwell the animal is required to be treated by the receiving vet (as per POCTA obligations) until the animal is stabilized
  • Less critical cases can be referred to any vet for interim treatment and holding until well enough for transfer to our Animal Care Facility.

Where an animal is so severely injured that a vet takes possession of the animal to euthanase it, the vet may recover from the owner of the animal the reasonable costs incurred in euthanasing the animal (section 26A).

If the owner of an injured animal cannot be located, under the Companion Animals Act, we should be notified. Once the animal's condition is stabilised and it no longer requires veterinary supervision, the animal should be transferred to our Animal Care Facility.

For further assistance or information

Contact during operating hours

Animal Care Facility
2 Rose St (off Blaxland Rd), Campbelltown
Call: 02 4645 4790
Monday to Friday - 10am to 4pm
Saturday - 9am to 2pm
Sunday and Public holidays - Closed

Outside of ACF operating hours

201 Rookwood Road, Yagoona NSW
Call: 02 9770 7555
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday - 9am to 8pm.

Campbelltown Police on 02 4620 1199
Macquarie Fields Police on 02 9605 0499

Contacts for injured koalas

Wires - Australian Wildlife Rescue
Call Wires Koala Hotline: 0466 318 688

Sydney Wildlife Rescue
Call: 02 9413 4300

Our sick or injured koalas page also has more information about what you can do.