The Companion Animals Regulations 2018 became effective on 31 August, 2018. This Regulation repeals and replaces the Companion Animals Regulation 2008. Cats and dogs have to be registered under the Companion Animals Act, 1998 (there are exceptions).
In accordance with sections 9(2) & 10 of the Act, a companion animal is required to be registered.
The new fee structure set down by the State Government is as follows:
- $210 for an entire cat or dog (that is, not desexed)
- $58 for desexed dog or cat (sterilisation certificate required)
- $25 for eligible pensioners, only if the dog or cat is desexed (pension card and sterilisation certificate required)
- $58 for an animal that is not desexed and kept by a recognised breeder for breeding purposes (Current RNSWCC membership, pedigree certificate and letter stating the animal will be kept for breeding purposes is required)
- $29 for a desexed animal purchased from a Council pound, animal shelter, or rehoming organisation with a Clause 16(d) after 30/10/15 (adoption paperwork and sterilization certificate required)
Commencing 1 July, 2019 Annual permits will be required for certain companion animals. For the purposes of section 11N (d) of the Act, an annual fee will be required to be paid for the issue of a permit
(a) $80, in the case of a cat that is not desexed
(b) $195, in the case of a dangerous dog
(c) $195, in the case of a restricted dog
You can make payment for your dog or cat registration at:
Council (Cnr Queen and Broughton Street, Campbelltown)
- Weekdays between 8.30am - 4.30pm
Animal Care Facility (2 Rose Street Campbelltown - off Blaxland Road)
- Monday to Friday 10.00am - 4.00pm
- Saturday between 9.00am - 2.00pm
Once you have created a profile on the NSW Pet Registry you can make payment for your lifetime registration fees online. You can also log back in at any time to update your contact details, notify your pet as missing and transfer ownership. Please note if you have an assistance or working dog, you will need to register your dog in person at Council or the Animal Care Facility.
Further information and forms are available on the Dogs and Cats section of the Office of Local Government website.
For information regarding updating your details (including change of address), selling or changing owners of a pet, and notification of the death of a pet, please see the Identification of your pet page.
If you have any questions regarding registration, you can contact Council on 4645 4000. Or if you prefer, you can email your enquiry to email@example.com