Want to become a Family Day Care Educator?

Children with Educator
Children colouring in with educator. 

Our Family Day Care educators are required to work under the Children (EACS National Law Application) Bill 2010, the Education and Care Services National Regulations and the National Quality Standards.

Who can be an educator?

  • Have you had experience educating and caring for children?
  • Do you have a minimum qualification of Certificate lll in Children's Services or higher early childhood qualification?
  • Do you enjoy the company of children?
  • Can you create a safe, nurturing, educational environment that enhances children's learning and development?
  • Are you willing to create a collaborative partnership with families?
  • Do you have the skills to positively guide children's behaviour?
  • Are you willing to run your own business from your home with the support of a professional team of staff?
  • Do you have effective communication skills and value the diversity of different cultures?

If you answered yes to these questions, becoming a Family Day Care educator may be for you.

What is required to become an educator?

  • Our Family Day Care educators are registered with Campbelltown City Council as the Approved Service Provider.
  • Our Registered educators are required to have:
    • A minimum qualification of Certificate lll in Children's Services or a higher Early Childhood qualification such as a Diploma or Bachelor
    • First Aid certificate
    • Asthma and Anaphylaxis certificates
    • Some business administration knowledge
    • Working with Children Check
    • Home safety inspection
    • Public Liability insurance
    • Adequate equipment
  • Health and safety - regulations and standards ensure that your home and garden are hygienic and safe for the children.

What costs are involved?

  • There may be some costs associated with making your home safe such as fencing, barriers for stairs, mandatory glass audit and storage
  • Costs associated with obtaining First Aid, Asthma and Anaphylaxis certificates
  • Insurance costs
  • Costs associated with purchasing equipment for the children such as cot, toys, car seats and educational equipment
  • Registration and training costs
  • Professional partnership fees to Council.

How does the income work?

As a Family Day Care educator you will be running your own business and you will set your own fees. The coordination unit has guidelines to assist you with this process.

Many families are eligible for Child Care Subsidy. This is administered by the coordination unit and passed on to educators with families paying the difference of the full fee directly to the educator.

What to do next?

If you are interested in becoming a Family Day Care educator and running your own business please complete and return the Expression of Interest to Operate a Family Day Care Service form(PDF, 217KB)  by emailing it to fecs@campbelltown.nsw.gov.au.