What is the Inter-library Loan Service?
- If an item is not available at any of our branch libraries (Campbelltown, Eagle Vale, Ingleburn, Glenquarie), we will try to borrow the item you want from another library service.
- You can request books, magazines, DVDs, audiobooks, in fact anything a library might have. Some items may not be available - we have no control over what other libraries are willing to lend to us.
How do I make a request?
There are a few steps to go through before you make an Inter-Library Loan request:
- Check that you have a valid Campbelltown library card.
- Check our catalogue to see if any of our branches have the item.
Transfers between branches are free – just reserve the item and tell us which branch you want to pick it up from.
- If none of our branches have the item, you can make a request by:
- filling in our online request form
- telephoning any branch, or
- ordering over the counter with our staff
To check if any library in Australia holds what you want, you can use the Books search on Trove. We are also happy to do the search for you.
How much will it cost?
- There is a non-refundable fee of $4.40 which you pay when you make the request. If you request by phone or online, your library card will be charged with the fee and you can pay on your next visit.
- Other libraries may add extra fees which we will pass on to you. We will always try to get items from non-charging libraries first. If there are extra fees, we will always check with you first – it is your decision to pay the fees or cancel the request.
- Overdue items borrowed through Inter-library loans will incur an overdue fine of 50c per item per day.
How long will it take?
We cannot say for certain. We send off your request as soon as possible, but delivery times can vary enormously. The item may be on loan, we may have to request from a few different libraries before we get a yes. These things are beyond our control, but we do our best to get the items as quickly as possible.
How long can I borrow for and can it be renewed?
- Normally you can borrow for our usual loan period (e.g. 21 days for books). Some libraries change this and we have to follow their rules as the item is not ours. We will tell you if there are any special conditions.
- Renewal of the loan is usually fine, but please request renewal before the item is due so we can contact the other library to make sure it’s ok.
- To renew an inter-library loans item, please phone 4645 4444 and ask for the Inter-Library Loans Officer.
If I change my mind can I cancel the request?
- Please phone the Inter-Library Loans Officer at Campbelltown (4645 4444) as soon as possible. Note that cancelling the reservation via the online catalogue does not cancel the request. Inter-Library Loan requests are separate from normal reservations.
- You may still have to pay fees depending on how far along the request is.
What if I lose or damage an Inter-Library Loan item?
You will have to pay whatever item cost plus administration fees the owning library charges. Some of these fees can be quite substantial, so please be careful with the items.