You may want to upgrade your browser. We have detected you are using Internet Explorer 10 or earlier. It is recommended that you update your browser to the latest version to get a better user experience. Find out more

Your JavaScript is disabled, we suggest you enable it to improve your Council website user experience.
Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide alert announcement. Site wide alert resolved. From Monday 23 March a number of facilities have been temporarily closed.
Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide alert announcement. Site wide alert resolved. Our Leisure Centres are taking bookings online for casual entry into our pools and is essential for every day. Make a casual booking now.
Skip to main content Menu
Main Content Anchor

Waste and Recycling FAQs



How many bins should I have?

Your waste service at home is made up of three bins, each bin is for a different type of rubbish:

Three bins that make up your waste service at home

When do my bins get emptied?

The day of collection depends on where you live. You can check your collection day using our search tool.

Bins are collected as normal on public holidays.

A Waste and Recycling Collection Calendar is sent to all residents each year to help keep track of which bin is due to be emptied each week.

If you don’t have your calendar, please complete our online Waste Calendar request form or call us on 02 4645 4000 and ask for your free copy.

What if my bin gets missed?

Report a missed bin service online or call Customer Service on 02 4645 4000 as soon as possible and let us know. If you let us know within 2 days of your collection day, we can usually send a truck back to empty your bin.

Make sure your bins get emptied every time by putting the right things in your bins and following these tips.

How do I get rid of bulky items?

If you need to get rid of bulky items that can’t go in your bins, you can book a kerbside clean up. Each household is entitled to 4 collections per calendar year. You can book a kerbside clean up online or by calling us on 02 4645 4000.

I don't have a waste calendar, how do I know when my bins get emptied?

If you're unsure when your bins get emptied, you can use our search tool to check your collection day. Or you can call Customer Service on 02 4645 4000 and ask for a Waste and Recycling Collection Calendar, and we'll send one out to you.

When will my kerbside clean up get picked up?

If you book a kerbside clean up before 4.30pm on Friday afternoon, your clean up will be collected between Monday and Friday of the following week. You can check your collection day using our search tool.

Please do not put any items on the kerbside until you have made your booking, and remember to follow the clean up guidelines.

What if my bin gets stolen or damaged?

Call Customer Service on 02 4645 4000 and let us know which bin was stolen or damaged. Or you can use our online service to report a stolen bin or damaged bin.

If the bin is damaged, we’ll also need to know what the problem is (eg. lid missing, wheels broken, bin cracked, etc).

Once you’ve let us know, we’ll fix your bin or deliver a replacement bin to your house free of charge within 2 working days.

To reduce the risk of your bins being stolen or damaged, please put your bins out no earlier than the day before your collection day, and bring them back in as soon as you can after they’ve been emptied.

Can I get more bins?

You can arrange additional general waste, recycling or garden organics services from us for a fee. The service is charged per bin, per year and the cost is added to the rates for the property.

If you are the property owner, you can contact us on 02 4645 4000 to request another service. If you are a tenant, you will need to speak with your real estate agent or property owner about arranging an extra service.

Do I really need another bin?

If you regularly have more rubbish than you can fit in your bin, there are other ways to increase your bin space without getting another service.

First of all, have a look at the kind of things you are throwing out.

If you have lots of food waste, you could set up a worm farm or compost bin. These systems turn your food scraps into fertiliser for your garden - which is great for the environment, and also saves you space in your garbage bin.

A compost bin would also be useful if you have lots of garden waste, too. You may find this a convenient alternative to getting another garden waste service.

Where can I dispose of extra rubbish?

If you need to dispose of additional rubbish, there are two local waste management facilities available:

Both facilities are privately owned and operated. Not all items can be disposed of at each facility, so it is recommended that you contact each facility to check what they will accept, and what their disposal charges are.

Why don’t my bins have the same coloured lids as the pictures on this site?

The bin lids pictured on this site are the Australian Standard for bin lid colours. Many bins will already have these coloured lids, but there are also a lot of bins that still have the old coloured lids (dark green for general waste and garden organics).

We are working on changing over the lids on all bins throughout the Campbelltown Local Government Area, so that all lids will match the Australian Standard.

My general waste bin is shorter than my neighbour’s – does it hold the same amount of rubbish?

There are two types of general waste bin at homes around Campbelltown.

The older style of general waste bin is taller and narrower, and the new style is shorter and wider. Both bins have a capacity of 140L and will hold the same amount of rubbish.

Just built your house and need new bins?

Call Customer Service on 02 4645 4000 to organise new bins. New bins will only be delivered once you have moved in to your property.

What do the numbers inside the triangle on plastic items mean?

The triangle symbol with numbers 1 to 7 (Plastic Identification Codes) are used to represent the type of plastic the item is made of. This does not mean the item is recyclable, or accepted in the yellow recycling bin.

What plastics can go in my recycling bin?

The only plastics that can be placed in the yellow lidded bin are bottles and containers from your kitchen, bathroom, and laundry that have the plastic identification code on them.

Follow the Australasian Recycling Label on the product. It tells you how to dispose of all parts of the packaging.

ARL Explainer no background.jpg

What is a soft plastic?

A soft plastic is the kind of plastic that can be scrunched into a ball. Examples include:

  • Plastic shopping bags 
  • Bread, rice, pasta, lolly and cereal bags 
  • Biscuit packets (outside only, NOT the tray)
  • Frozen food bags 
  • Bubble wrap
  • Fruit and vegetable bags and netting 
  • Plastic wrapping (like around toilet paper)
  • Old green re-usable bags 
  • Chip packets and bar wrappers (even though they look like foil).

How do I recycle my soft plastics?

REDcycle is an Australian program that recycles soft plastics into a wide range of uses. Collect the soft plastics you have at home (please ensure they are clean) and take them with you on your next shopping trip. Look for REDcycle bins at Coles and Woolworths supermarkets. A wide range of soft plastics can be recycled through this initiative.

Related information
Back to top Back to top