You may want to upgrade your browser. We have detected you are using Internet Explorer 10 or earlier. It is recommended that you update your browser to the latest version to get a better user experience. Find out more

Your JavaScript is disabled, we suggest you enable it to improve your Council website user experience.
Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide alert announcement. Site wide alert resolved. Latest Council update regarding COVID-19.
Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide alert announcement. Site wide alert resolved. Our administration offices and some services will be closed on Tuesday 26 January and will reopen on Wednesday 27 January 2021. Find out more about changes to our operating hours for the Australia Day public holiday.
Skip to main content Menu
Main Content Anchor

Food Safety

There are a diverse range of food businesses operating within the Campbelltown Local Government Area (LGA). These include restaurants, cafes, take away shops, supermarkets, and clubs.

To ensure the health and safety of the public, our Environmental Health Officers carry out inspections at food businesses to check that food is being prepared and handled in a safe and hygienic manner.

Why is food safety important?

Food poisoning is caused by poor handling of food, unsafe food practices and poor hygiene in food businesses.

Food poisoning is estimated to affect 4.1 million Australians and costs $1.2 billion per year. Implementing good food safety practices can reduce the instance of food poisoning cases.

How do I make a complaint about a food business?

Do you have a complaint regarding suspected food poisoning?

Complaints regarding single-incident food borne illness (one person) from a retail food premises can be made by contacting our Customer Service Section on 02 4645 4000. Complaints regarding food borne related illness from non-retail premises or where there are multiple cases the NSW Food Authority needs to be contacted on 1300 552 406 or via the NSW Food Authority website.

Do you have a complaint regarding an unsafe, unhygienic food premises?

In addition to routine food safety inspections, our Environmental Health Officers are available to investigate consumer complaints or concerns about a particular food premise or activity.

Such complaints may include:

  • Foreign matter in food such as hair, glass, or vermin
  • Mouldy or rotten foods
  • The sale of products past their use by date
  • Poor food handling practices
  • Dirty premises
  • Pest activity in kitchens or dining areas.

Complaints can be made by contacting our Customer Service Section on 02 4645 4000.

Our role is to ensure compliance with the current food laws in a fair and reasonable manner. Our service does not extend to providing legal advice and does not seek compensation on behalf of customers.

Do you have a complaint regarding a manufacturer, wholesaler or butcher?
We do not have the power to regulate or inspect food manufactures, food wholesalers or butcher shops. Complaints regarding these businesses must be made by contacting the NSW Food Authority on 1300 552 406.

How can I find information about food shops that have been fined or prosecuted?

The NSW Food Authority’s name and shame register provides a list of food businesses that have been given a Penalty Notice or have been prosecuted in court for breaching food safety laws. Publishing the lists gives consumers more information to make decisions about where they eat or buy food.

Back to top Back to top